Sunday, October 12, 2008

The Dash

The Dash
By Linda Ellis
I read of a man who stood to speak
At the funeral of a friend.
He referred to the dates on her tombstone
From the beginning to the end.
He noted that first came the date of her birth
And spoke of the following date with tears,
But he said what mattered most of all
Was the dash between those years.
For that dash represents all the time
That she spent alive on earth
And now only those who loved her
Know what that little line is worth.
For it matters not, how much we own,
The cars, the house, the cash,
What matters is how we live and love
And how we spend our dash.
So think about this long and hard;
Are there things you'd like to change?
For you never know how much time is left
That can still be rearranged.
If we could just slow down enough
To consider what's true and real
And always try to understand
The way other people feel.
And be less quick to anger
And show appreciation more
And love the people in our lives
Like we've never loved before.
If we treat each other with respect
And more often wear a smile,
Remembering that this special dash
Might only last a little while.
So when your eulogy is being read
With your life's actions to rehash
Would you be proud of the things they say
About how you spent your dash?


I saw this poem on my friend Emily's blog and it made me really think about what the important things in life are. I want to be the one that people will remember as being so kind, loving, showing respect, not talking about people, wearing a smile always, and one that people knew was real and true. I want to be the best wife, momma, daughter, sister, and friend and have no regrets with the way I acted. This is a great start to being the best person I can be. Thanks Emily

4 comments:

Kim said...

I was going to comment on how early you were up on a Sunday morning, but then I read "The Dash" and WOW, how true that really is. I too want to be the best person I can. If blessings could be seen as money I would be a millionaire. I have the best family and friends around. I have truely been blessed. P.S. the snow's not that bad.

Grandma Sis said...

Wow! Definetly food for thought. A long thought. Thank you so much for sharing. Love you, Mom

lvs2dance said...

In my book you already are the best friend a girl could ever want/need. Love ya!

Em said...

Love the poem, love the thoughts. You already are on my list of favorite/happy/positive people that make a difference in the world. Love you to death Amy! And man do I love Archibalds and Gardiner Village!!! And again, we just love Jake!!!!